A delicious dinner.
Recipe and styling by Robyn Timson Moss
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Beef sausages in red wine sauce with polenta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g (about 8) beef sausages
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 125ml (½ cup) red wine
- 125ml (½ cup) beef stock
- 200g crushed tomatoes (find at woolworths.co.za)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp muscovado sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 180g (1 cup) polenta, cooked according to packaging instructions
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
- small handful each fresh flat-leaf parsley and rosemary, to garnish
For the sausages, place the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan placed over medium heat. Add the beef sausages and brown on all sides. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside until needed.
Using the same frying pan, prepare the sauce by sautéing the red onion and garlic over medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent, 5 – 10 minutes. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Return the browned beef sausages to the pan and mix until coated with the sauce. Simmer, uncovered, until the sausages are cooked to your liking, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Serve the sausages on a bed of polenta, garnished with the Parmesan shavings, fresh flat-leaf parsley and rosemary.
Make the polenta extra rich and creamy by folding in a knob of butter and a handful of freshly grated Parmesan before serving.